Tuesday, January 8, 2013

so, so, smug


i run the way i do most other things. which means that i used to run fast, eagerly, desperate almost.
i ran like i was racing an invisible enemy. myself but on wheels being pulled by a car.
i ran in short, passionate sprints and then slowed to a walk, panting and doubling over sometimes.
i lived and ran from one short finish line to another, passing each marker with equal fear and relief.
these days i run with more endurance and caution. i push myself harder than i ever have.
demand more of myself and am satisfied with myself less easily.
i slowly push my way up hills, over fallen tree limbs on trails, and down slippery rocks in the rain.
i have come to appreciate the sting at the base of my calf as i churn my body up a steep hill, panting so heavily that i see spots at the corners of my eyes.
my body has naturally adapted to awakening before dawn and my eyes have developed a more keen sense of perception in the darkness.
i have come to long for the cool breeze on my face as i stretch forward through the fog in early mornings.  



*i often sing this to myself while i am running.

No comments:

Post a Comment